Welcome

Miss Penny's Arty Stuff is a blog for artists. I aim to promote the many genres of the arts and share stories of interest and relevancy with an artistic community.

The photo above is of the Belabula River, Carcoar NSW where my family comes from.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Queenslanders are Grieving





I think it’s fair to say, any Queenslander feels as if the stuffing has been knocked out of them. If they haven’t been directly hit by the flooding, they have felt in some way emotionally devastated. We are all grieving together.

I have personally been sorting and gathering. Dragging all the goods I could together. All the useful items I could donate and then sending grocery items off to Rockhampton, on the trucks, to help feed the isolated people.

We managed to fight off the waters (being in a lucky area), so we are now digging deep to help those less fortunate. But I have cried for my friends and work colleagues throughout the state.

I have adjudicated eisteddfods in Rockhampton, Toowoomba, Lockyer Valley, Ipswich and throughout Brisbane. The scenes of devastation have been too heart breaking for words. And yet, somehow these communities must find a way to go on.

These photos were taken by my son who lives in Windsor and works in Toowong. Both his home and office were spared - he was lucky.

Somehow talking of art and craft may seem a little trivial for a while. I’m hoping to find a way to bring the joy back in time when it seems more appropriate and it will, one day soon, as we start to rebuild.

The warmth of a granny square and the delight of a dance class will be just what the doctor ordered, until then, let’s just clean up.

No comments:

Post a Comment