Welcome

Miss Penny's Arty Stuff is a blog for artists. I aim to promote the many genres of the arts and share stories of interest and relevancy with an artistic community.

The photo above is of the Belabula River, Carcoar NSW where my family comes from.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Latest Dance Experiences



In the last few weeks I’ve enjoyed two trips away to the Southern States to adjudicate dance competitions. The first was in Launceston where I was lucky enough to work in the 100 year old Princess Theatre. Housed in the theatre is a signed pair of Margot Fonteyn’s pointe shoes which, I must admit, made me feel very humble and excited to be in the spiritual presence of one of the world's most celebrated dancers.

The dancers of Launceston are wonderful. The group routines were spectacular, highlighting the dedication the dance teachers of the area devote to their work. I saw some kicking routines that would make the most robust athletes cringe. These dancers showed amazing ability and stamina in their capacity to make a strenuous workout look entertaining for an audience.

Next I went on to Wollongong Eisteddfod where the enormity of this competition required three adjudicators to manage it. I had a wonderful time, especially when it came to teaching the Jazz and Theatrical Scholarship. The young entrants where so delightful and deserving of the opportunity to dance for a prize of $1000. Only six made it through to the final and they courageously battled it out for the honour and prize. The winner was a beautiful dancer who showed off her versatility throughout the competition.

I’m always astounded by the hard work of the students and I hope to remain in a position to mentor and stimulate the minds of our youth. These people are the future and I feel very confidant that they are most capable of becoming fantastic adults and perhaps also inspiring performing artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment