Welcome

Miss Penny's Arty Stuff is a blog for artists. I aim to promote the many genres of the arts and share stories of interest and relevancy with an artistic community.

The photo above is of the Belabula River, Carcoar NSW where my family comes from.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Art & Craft for Comfort


As you know, I've been dealing with my father's hospitalisation following a car accident over the past fortnight. This dreadful experience has caused me to think about the comforting affect of the 'handmade' when things are 'down and out'.

When we are ill, it's not the time to consider the motivations of an artist in the creation of a great masterpiece. We don't contemplate the latest fashion or architecture or what new shows are coming up on Broadway. But, what we do find comforting is a lovely hand crocheted rug, made by someone who loves us. Perhaps a cake brought in by an aunt or cousin. Maybe a handmade card arriving in the mail, a thought, a care, a loving touch.

Let's never underestimate the depth of renewal that love can bring to a sick person. Love is embodied in the 'handmade'.

I know so well, I was once in hospital for a long stint following a fractured spine. I was given a quilt. It wasn't handmade by anyone I knew (it was store bought) but someone had made it, and I looked at it for weeks and weeks. I held it tight when things were tough, and they were very tough!!!

Please consider making your gifts or buying someone else's handmade things - they are truly little love capsules.

No comments:

Post a Comment