Welcome

Miss Penny's Arty Stuff is a blog for artists. I aim to promote the many genres of the arts and share stories of interest and relevancy with an artistic community.

The photo above is of the Belabula River, Carcoar NSW where my family comes from.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Coco Avant Chanel

I hired this movie from the video store as I thought it was probably a prerequisite to see before ‘Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky’.

Though this movie was quite sad it was also incredibly thought provoking and gave me enormous respect for Coco’s struggles as a child and young woman. I’m guessing this movie leaves off where the next will begin. The movie is in French so prepare for sub titles.

Abandonment shaped Coco’s spirit, left at an orphanage by her father, she had witnessed the harsh reality of infidelity in her parent’s marriage and shunned this option for her own life. She declares she will be no man’s wife.

Her style was in stark contrast to her peers and sets her apart early on, she shows the tenacity of any great star in the making, this ability to fly against convention is what greatly interests me. Being different does not come without great derision.

If I were a drinker I would have toasted Coco at the end of the movie, such is my respect particularly for the women whose journey at this point in history was particular harsh and difficult, baring few options. Finding success in a man’s world shows great courage and determination. All hale Coco, Bravo!

My investigations of the greats of the artistic world shall continue. I’m on a mission now. Watch for further reviews of this type.

No comments:

Post a Comment