Welcome

Miss Penny's Arty Stuff is a blog for artists. I aim to promote the many genres of the arts and share stories of interest and relevancy with an artistic community.

The photo above is of the Belabula River, Carcoar NSW where my family comes from.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Act of Musing


I had to scold myself recently when I commented on a Facebook post calling myself an ‘arty-farty air head’. Who needs enemies when I’m prepared to refer to myself in such an unflattering way. This comment got me to thinking, and the more I thought, the more I thought, that I actually spent an awful lot of time in the act of thinking.

Please stay with me here.

This line of thought reminded me of a rather lovely trip to the cinema to see ‘Bright Star’ - (Jane Campion’s movie about the poet John Keats). At one point in the plot, Keat’s friend Charles Brown discusses the essential role in an artist’s life of the 'act of musing'.

Now I’m working from memory here (as it’s a few months since I saw the film) but I remember being very impressed at the idea of lying on ones back in the garden, contemplating the next line of poetry, as Keats and Brown would often do.

You see, I’m a mum and my life has never extended to the luxury of such musing and so out of necessity, I sneak it in wherever I can, like when ironing, grocery shopping or cooking dinner (an activity that I have now been officially sacked from, it proved to be too great a fire hazard). My husband is the head chef now.

My children have been noted as saying things like “Mummy is your head in a painting again?” or “Just never mind, it’s not that important,” (usually from a teenager), whoops I must have been musing again!

‘Musing’ may be why artists gained the title of ‘air-heads’ which is most unfair because there is anything but AIR in our heads, instead there is; colour schemes, designs, layouts, choreography, subject matter, poetry, notations, lyrics, stage sets and so on.

Artists work incredibly hard, musing is exhausting. So next time you see an artist contemplating, don’t just assume they’re on ‘down-time’! No-way that’s highly productive and very necessary.

Do not disturb!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks Miss Penny, you make me feel less guilty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all very fine to be an air-head artist as long as you know where the light is coming from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wrote a really long post here only to have it 'errored' away by blog archive!! GGGrrrrr........
    I love ur blog.
    let me see if this works first before I commit my heart, mind and soul again!!!
    (It's Ninoo!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello again, Miss Penny... It's Miss Lyndal here. Let me try to get my thoughts together again!!!!
    Musing, in my humble opinion, goes hand in hand with what other 'greats' would call being in a 'meditative state'. The difference is that these 'greats' (usually men) have the luxury of laying or sitting down and doing absolutely nothing else. The reality of having a family and especially being a woman is that no one else is going to step up to the plate if we decide to chill out and meditate and stuff you all...(I've tried and I bet you have!) So, because there is no space to 'meditate', 'musing' becomes a necessary part of everyday life! Musing can include (in my experience:) ) being plunged into a meditative state, where anything is possible, nothing is judged, and you feel very connected...This provides the inspiration to the more active part of the musing, where you are consciously building and creating in your head. The only problem is that, typically, just as you are entering this 'meditative state', some precious mundanity (children or breaking a glass...) blasts you rudely out of your oneness with everything and into your 'so much more important'responsibilities! I just wish I could work out how to stay there! (But then maybe I'd be in Pleaides:) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I relate to the 'breaking a glass' thing and being sharply pulled back to reality. I had many a wonderful idea torn from me cruely which will never see fruition. Oh the world has been denied some beauties because of my 'motherdom'. I think I just created a new word! There my life is not without purpose! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes.. 'motherdom', which counteracts the state of 'pappadum'!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i completely agree with your statement about how hard artists work, and when their 'taking a break' their still deep in thought about how they are going to progress, and what they are going to create next. It's offensive when i tell people i am an art student, doing a diploma of fine art, and i get the 'how hard could painting a flower be, come on' and the sigh.... it is so much more in depth then than. But i guess thats what seperates the creative from everyone else.
    T

    ReplyDelete